Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Tropical Bird and a Lampshade Adapter?



I'm glad this project is finally completed because my frustration level was definitely tested!!  Now that it's finished and placed, I can breathe a sigh of relief.  

I refer to this as my tropical bird-- but as to its true identity --have no clue or idea.  Could it be a parrot or a peacock or what??  It has a long full tail and very nice coloring --- so tropical bird it is!!  The frustration did not come with the construction of the lampshade but mainly with the  lamp I chose.


As you can see the shade has a washer top and requires a lamp with a harp.  No harp --- (now what to do) I really wanted to use this vintage glass candlestick lamp.


Don't laugh --- but it took me forever, and forever, and forever to remember that there is an adapter to solve this problem!!!  Shown in the picture above is an adapter and a vintage finial that coordinates with the colors of the shade.


Hooray!!  Put the adapter over the lightbulb and it automatically substitutes for a harp.  Put the shade over -- screw on the finial -- and we are set to go.


In all my chattering about the adapter, I forgot to give you the basics of the lampshade.  The shape of this frame is referred to as a cut corner and measures approximately 7 inches high.  The lower trim is a yarn tassel drop with a peacock blue bead thus adding an extra 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches.  The main portion of the shade is a vintage hand done needlepoint piece.  


The sides of the shade are done with a dark golden fabric that resembles a shantung sheen and yarn weave.  Difficult to pick up fabric variations with camera and lighting.


Another picture to show the fabric variations in a different light


This picture is a little closer up and seems to show the actual needlepoint stitches.
So long until next time my friends.  Lesson learned -- a lamp adapter goes a long way in calming ones anxieties -- (who knew?). 
I'm linking toSavvy Southern Style



10 comments:

  1. That is a BEAUTIFUL shade. Fabulous work on your part, Missy M.

    Oh, that must have taken a LONG time to do. Needlepoint is very exacting!

    Love it.

    Thanks for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy M,
    I am always impressed with your talent for turning ordinary into fabulous! You know, I can really understand what you were going through with all of the adapting, and the finial and harp. I have tried numerous times to change out just ordinary lampshades (nothing like your beautiful creations) for new lampshades and most of the time they do not fit!!
    Thank you for the instructions and of course your lovely talent!

    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my succulent post. I have always admired these plants but wasn't quite sure how to handle them. I hope it all works out and I think the centerpiece you mentioned would be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Missy, thank you for all this....the adaptor, didn't even know it existed! How clever and simple for all those harp dilemmas of being too tall or too short! Your work is beautiful....not readily available....I think I may need your services soon. N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool about the adapter! What a great shade! I love your blog and I have several shades I need to cover and spruce up, so I'm glad to be following you via GFC and hoping to learn lots. Thank you for your comment on my Valentine Shadow box. I tried to reply via email, but you are a no-reply blogger. You can fix this in your settings and you'll get a lot more feedback. If you need help with it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew about lamp adapters - thank you for sharing that. You did a great job on the shade - there's nothing like vintage needlepoint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening Missy, What a beautiful lamp shade and I love the vintage candlestick base, just gorgeous.
    Isn't it frustrating when you "hit a brick wall", but fabulous when you resolve the problem. I remember these adapters from living in Cyprus. I bought a couple of lamps when I lived there and they came with these adapters, but to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have known this otherwise.
    The finial you have chosen, just finishes the lamp beautifully.
    Another gorgeous lamp.
    Have a lovely evening.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Missy, what an amazing project. I just love it and the adapter sure helps the process.
    Lovely colors and detail trims. What a beautiful lamp.
    You are so talented. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you also for the well wishes. I am doing a bit better, but now have pleurisy.
    Have a great week and happy creating.
    hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This lampshade is gorgeous! You are such a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete