Friday, January 11, 2013

Mid Century with Oriental Flair Lamp & Shade

Did I say mid century with oriental style? Yes I did!!  Can that be ---is that combination possible????  I don't know --- I'm not a decorator.  However ---- this is MY version!!  All I can say blog land folks -- you will either love it or hate it because there is no middle ground.



 This lamp originally had a very tall harp with a monster lampshade.  Since I knew the style and size of the  shade I wanted to make, I had the lamp rewired and the harp replaced to fit the new shade.



In the picture above you can see the original harp.  It's almost the size of the entire lamp and a smaller lampshade would not have worked with this size harp.  The problem with a larger shade is that it  overpowers the lamp.  Since I wanted the finished look to be a blending  and show off the base as well as the shade --- I opted for the smaller harp and shade.


  
This is the finished product and the style of the shade frame is what is referred to as a cut corner and measure approximately 7 inches across the top -- 10 inches across the bottom -- and 7 inches high.


    
The front section is done with an older piece of embroidery.  It has the long stitches such as seen in crewel work.


  
The colors of the hand done piece were then matched to new quilters quality oriental fabric and added to the back and sides.


    
The top and bottom trim were done with a braiding and the ribbed sides were accented and hand done with the same fabric used on the body of the shade.   Well there you have it.  Geisha completed.  I don't think you'll find this in a big box store.  Certainly eclectic and certainly one of a kind.    Lesson learned:  Do not be hesitant to switch out harps or try a different shape or size lamp shade.       
    I'm linking to:Savvy Southern Style            




                                                                               






7 comments:

  1. Well aren't you handy and creative. I love all the things you can do to lamps and shades. Thanks for your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- what a compliment!! Thanks so much.
      Missy M

      Delete
  2. Hi Missy...Thanks for stopping by and for commenting, too!. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Lovely shade, Missy. You are right. You'd NEVER find that in a big box store. Uh uh. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      So nice to meet up with you again. Thanks for the nice comments you always leave. It's fun to know someone is listening.
      Missy M

      Delete
  4. Hello, Dear! Well, I'll tell you ~ I LOVE it! ♥ I've come to your blog from the blog of one of my sweet commenters ~ you know how that goes ~ :) ~ Now following you!
    So nice to "meet" you!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      You have absolutely made my day!! Not only such a lovely comment --- but a follower too!! Thanks for holding my hand, as I step further and further into blog world.
      Missy M

      Delete