Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Elephant in the Room

Traditionally when there is an elephant in the room, one must learn to ignore it, not mention it, sweep it under the rug, and tip toe around.
I hope the same rules don't apply when  my little elephant lamp and his custom lampshade appear.  Quite the contrary -- this was made to draw you in and invoke conversation as opposed to pretending it does not exist.




The body of the lamp shade is made from upholstery fabric and the ribs are done with the same fabric as is the top trim.  The bottom trim and beads were matched to have the same gold and red shading as the rest of the lampshade.





The shape of this lampshade is often referred to as a cut corner and altogether there are eight sections to the body.  The middle front and back have larger panels and then each end has three parts.  



The approximate size of this shade is 6 inches across the top;  9 inches across the bottom;   and 7 inches high not counting the bead dropping (that's another two inches).



The versatility of this shade is that it is not only complimentary to the cute elephant lamp but can also go on a plain (new or old) candlestick lamp.  My style at home is traditional but this can also fit into a variety of eclectic decor.

Although I am new to blog land, I would like to thank all of you that come by and visit.  Obviously there is a learning curve and I am finding that picture taking and narratives are a steep mountain to climb.  Please hold my hand as I learn!!!








6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Missy M, Nice to meet you. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments, it was very kind of you.
    I have to say, I love your script lampshades and also your elephant lampshade. The first would fit beautifully in my sitting room and the second in my kitchen/dining room. My home is very eclectic after years of travelling. So both shades are perfect. I am looking forward to reading more. Best Wishes from England, Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne,
      As always, thanks for such sweet comments.
      Missy M

      Delete
  2. Missy M, Such a pleasure to meet you!! I am a real fan of lights, shades and decorating! I am a new blogger myself and follower! Thank you for visiting my blog-this is fun isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jemma,
    Thanks for stopping by and holding my hand---- this new blog world is fun but also scary. I will sign on as a member to your blog so we will meet up often I'm sure!!
    Missy M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love this elephant lamp - it's so unique. Where did you find a lamp like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      Thanks for commenting on my elephant lamp. I found him about a year and a half ago in an antique shop. He came with a plain white shade that I did not think did him justice. In order to give him a little more personality, I went ahead and designed a new shade. It took a while to decide on what style and color I wanted --- but I think it all works. Thanks again for stopping by ----
      Missy M

      Delete